1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can I use coal or DE to worm my goats and sheep???

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by MyPetsMakeMeBreakfast, Jun 20, 2011.

1. MyPetsMakeMeBreakfast

MyPetsMakeMeBreakfast Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2011
    I'm looking for a more natural wormer, and i heard it works with chickens. so, hey, why not sheep and goat?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  2. gamblelover85

gamblelover85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Pahrump
    We've use DE with all of our animals including the horses, the cow and the dogs. That stuff is awesome but in larger animals all I've found that it does is keep the need for worming down to the bare minimum during the year. It acts just like a wormer booster in between. although we never worm our horses like we should and just give them the DE with their hay or suppliments and they never have worm problems. Hope this helps you out. [​IMG]

3. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    I know that DE can be used as a wormer for most animals, even us humans... as long as you get the good stuff that is. Be sure to read up dosage so that the worms get a full dose. The larger animals will need a lot more of the DE than chickens of course. I get my info on all that from a website called Shadowridgedonkeys.com. I get our DE from them and there is quite a bit of good information on how to use it on there too. Also if you called them they could give you some good info if you can't find exactly what you're looking for on their site. I have found them extremely helpful and friendly over the years...

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Can I use coal or DE to worm my goats and sheep???

i heard it works with chickens. so, hey, why not sheep and goat?

Yes you can use DE .

It will not work, but you can still use it

Feeding them coal would likely kill the worms, but it would likely kill the goats too

But you can use it

I get my info on all that from a website called Shadowridgedonkeys.com. I get our DE from them

Imagine that.....a site trying to sell you something tells you it will do things.

Any conflict of interests there?​

5. MyPetsMakeMeBreakfast

MyPetsMakeMeBreakfast Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2011
    i ment coal dust....but i geuss that kills them too.........

6. lasergrl

lasergrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Middlefield Ohio
    I can see DE working for external parasites but their is no science behind it working internally. It doesnt work when wet, most people that use it admit it and recommend re applying it outdoors after it has rained. The inside of an animal is the wettest place I can think of. The jagged edges cant do the work internally. Now, there could very well be a reason it seems to help, maybe the minerals act as an immune booster, or change the ph just enough that worms dont explode. I dont know, but, it doesnt seem it would work mechanically as a dewormer like it does on external critters.
    I dont think that it works like some people think but I am going to try it anyways because it is beneficial in some way it seems.

7. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Now, there could very well be a reason it seems to help, maybe the minerals act as an immune booster, or change the ph just enough that worms dont explode

The reason it appears to work is it passes through unchanged and helps dry the feces, which decreases the number of parasite eggs that hatch

You can get the same results just spreading it on the ground​

8. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    I have heard that pineneedles work as a dewormer. I'm not sure which worms or if it in fact does work. You might want to look it up.

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    No..it doesnt work at all..

10. chickenboots

chickenboots Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2010
    fl
    Check into a wormwood based herbal wormer for goats. I'm not sure if you can use it for sheep though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by