can I use cockatiel grit for 4 week old chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wahmommy, Sep 7, 2010.

1. wahmommy

wahmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2010
    We started feeding them mealy worms, and I haven't started feeding them grit yet. I have some cockatiel grit but I don't know if I should have purchased parakeet grit (size of grit). Also, since they've been getting mealy worms (unfortunately probably too many cause my kids love feeding them to them) I didn't give them any grit, although I did let them scratch in the dirt a over the weekend... but I have noticed they are pooping less than they were just on the chicken starter crumble. I hope I didn't hurt them by not giving them grit yet... the feed store I bought them from said I didn't need it to feed them mealy worms, but this board says different. I shouldn't trust this feed store anyway, they don't seem to know a lot about chickens.. [​IMG]

Anyway, should I be feeding parakeet size or cockatiel size grit at this point? The store didn't carry chicken grit..

2. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    I don't think you can feed either one of those to chickens. I know parakeet grit has calcium in it and baby chicks can't have that. Not sure about the cockateil grit though.

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    If it was just a couple of bugs or something, I wouldn't worry about grit. But since you indicated that you were feeding them quite a few meal worms, it seems that chick grit is in order. Is there a feed store anywhere near you? Acid_Chipmunk is correct. Parakeet grit has calcium in it which is contraindicated for chicks. I don't know either what is in cockateil grit.

4. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I'm not sure what it says on the box but when mine were little I got it from Wal-Mart!!

Missi

5. cpegram

cpegram Chillin' With My Peeps

I used the parakeet grit on my chickens since they were about 5-8 weeks old I never had a problem....after that they were outside i didn't need it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by