Can I use DE in the coop if I am organic?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by moenmitz, Jul 6, 2008.

1. moenmitz

moenmitz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    I was planning on using food grade DE in with the shavings to help control smell and external parasites-would this affect organic certification at all?

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    It shouldn't. Food grade DE is an organic substance.

3. ravenfeathers

ravenfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    vermont
    DE won't affect your organic certification. it's not a chemical at all, just the skeletons of long-dead diatoms, no different from topsoil or lime in that respect.

4. revelu

revelu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2008
    Midland, MI
    Sorry to butt in, but what is the difference between food-grade and non-food-grade DE?

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Codex grade DE (food grade) is edible and non toxic. I only use PermaGuard brand DE.

All other forms of DE are 85% or more silica that is toxic. Gardening and pool grade DE are poison.

6. revelu

Mar 28, 2008
    Midland, MI
    ok, thank you!

7. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    I got DE out of a tub at my health food store. It was among the bulk flours, etc. Now I am told that it is not "food grade." I'm going to make them put a big label on the tub. I can't be the only person to make a bad assumption.

8. revelu

Mar 28, 2008
    Midland, MI
    isn't silica sand? why would that be toxic? excuse me if these are dumb questions-- but I'm going to get some food-grade DE and just making sure about everything--

9. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    Any inhaled fine particulate - even sand - can cause lung problems. The toxicity isn't in the chemical composition - it's in the form (powder), and the exposure (inhalation).

10. Lea71

Lea71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Wow...I'm shocked they would try to sell it like that. Anyhooo....I have organic chickies and we praise the DE. Also works great to get rid of ants and keep the flies down in the yard. With 50 lbs. of the stuff....you'll put it everywhere. [​IMG]

I also mix it with their dust bath to keep 'em clean. Definitely wear a mask or scarf or something around your face when working in close quarters with it. Not good to inhale the little particles, the particulate matter basically scrapes on the way down and causes scarring. Similar to asbestos exposure...you'll end up with a fibrosis-type condition later on in life...lack of elasticity in the lung. Okay...I'm done....if you hadn't noticed, I'm a respiratory therapist.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by