Can I use existing bulding (wondering about the drywall)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by GardenGal, Mar 15, 2011.

1. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    I have an 8x8 outbuilding, insulated, drywalled, roofed, and I'm wondering about using it for the chickens. My main question is about the drywall. It is mudded and primed, but I don't know how it will stand up to chickens. I'd really like to use this building if I could without damaging it permanently because it's already there and it's bigger than I need - I secretly want more chickens [​IMG]

2. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

It sounds wonderful. Maybe you could put something up to work as a wainscotting and protect the lower section of the walls.

3. GardenGal

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    I'm envisioning their palace right now [​IMG] Maybe thin plywood or mdf?

4. dreamer4217

dreamer4217 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Riverside CA
    they sell the stuff you use in shower walls at home depot its plastic sheeting glue it to the bottom of the walls there you go it will protect the walls and make it easy ot clean

5. GardenGal

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    Thank you - there are so many coop options I'm driving my husband crazy with a new plan every day! This year I'm only going to have 4 hens and I'm wondering if it's a good idea to modify my shed or build a simple coop from scratch. What do you experienced chicken people say? And thanks so much for taking the time to help!! It's a neat little shed, if I use it I'll definitely post pictures [​IMG]

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    My chicken building is drywalled [​IMG] (not my fault -- it was a dog boarding/breeding kennel before we bought this place).

Chickens eat drywall.

However if you cover it with thin plywood or anything else peckproof like that (I used plywood in some places; the rest are covered by this very spiff expensive plastic panelling used to keep the previous dogs from eating the drywall <g>) it is fine as long as it is sealed and your coop is not horribly scary-humid.

If I were you, I would paint the drywall real good, perhaps with a bathroom (mildewcidal) paint, put up something peckproof on the lower reaches and next to any roosts etc that will let them access higher-up parts, and call it good [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

7. GardenGal

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    Thanks, Pat! I read your ventilation page and am going to go out and see what kind of modifications will be required. Rebekah

8. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    I put clear plastic over anything I don't want my chickens, chicks or ducklings to eat or poo all over.

9. GardenGal

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    I looked at Home Depot's web site, and they had plasic panels for about $20 per 4x8' sheet. I think I'd need 8 of them - ouch! Is there a cheaper kind of plastic you guys recommend?

10. GardenGal

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    My husband suggested wall paper, would that be a good possibility?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by