Can I use gardening supplies as a brooder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Magnolia7330, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Magnolia7330

Magnolia7330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2016
    Northern California
    I hope this isn't a stupid question. I ordered my first flock of chickens to be delivered the week of April 10th. Today I ordered supplies to start my spring garden (tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, and melons). This is my first time germinating my plants from seed and it got me thinking. I ordered some grow lights and a heating pad. Could I use these to make a chick brooder? (to keep the babies warm) These are the two specific items I ordered.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E9IO770/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P7U259C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2. IdyllwildAcres

IdyllwildAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Search for Mama heating pad thread by @Blooie

Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Copy and paste that into the search bar, maybe your seedling mat will come into play

Gary from Idyllwild Ca here

3. Magnolia7330

Magnolia7330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2016
    Northern California
    Yeah, I was kind of wondering if I could use the seedling mat in that way. I read that it heats at 90 degrees.

4. frenchiegirl21

frenchiegirl21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    South Central Texas
    I don't see why not if the pad gets up to 90 degrees. The main thing would be to watch the behavior of the chicks. If they are too cold they will all huddle together under the heating source. What will the temperature outside be during April? Will you be brooding indoors or outdoors? I brood outside and in the spring I hardly have to use the heat lamp because of the outside temperatures.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by