1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can I use ibuprofin to put down a baby chicken?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenlover237, Mar 11, 2015.

1. chickenlover237

chickenlover237 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a baby, about 4-7 weeks old, it's tail has been pecked down to the bone (I don't know how) and he's trying to die. He's in a lot of pain and I think he should be put out of his misery, I was wondering if it would be possible to OD him with Ibuprofen. We're looking for the quickest, and easiest way to put him down, preferably by putting him to sleep before it kills him. NO I do not want to take him to a vet, it's 50$ for just a general checkup and I do NOT need anymore male chickens.

2. youngchooklover

youngchooklover Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2013
    South Australia
    Ooo I don't really know?
    But I drown mine (in water) if that helps.

3. torilovessmiles

torilovessmiles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2014
    Central West Virginia
    I wouldn't do that, it could cause more suffering, possibly by causing intestinal tissues to burn. That would be a very painful death.
    In my opinion, the best way would be to take a meat clever or sharp butchering knife and cut off the head, or snap the neck. Quick and nearly painless.
    Overdoses aren't always peaceful. Many drugs cause heart attacks, seizures, paralyzation, and many other painful effects before death. It's best to avoid drugs if you don't know for sure what an overdose would be like.

4. torilovessmiles

torilovessmiles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2014
    Central West Virginia
    x2 Drowning would also be more peaceful than ODing

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by