Can I use metal siding for the interior of coop

THINGUM

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 17, 2011
A buddy of mine came up with a ton of used metal siding (delta Rib style). There is enough for roof and all walls inside and out. Even enough to bury at the perimeter of the run.
ya.gif

I have windows at both ends and a door to leave open in good weather, so I don't feel ventilation is a problem. Until I consider North Idaho dampness, non-permeability of metal and 10 chickens in 56 sq. ft. (7 ft. height).
idunno.gif

Also doing deep litter method on vinyl floor. Soooo wadayall tink? Thanks in advance
thumbsup.gif

My concern would be that if you are going to have any condensation (->humidity->frostbite) problems at all, having metal walls inside will bring it on.

If you are 100% sure that under no circumstances would that occur, then I guess you could use the metal in there.

OTOH if you are less than 100% sure, it would be smarter to use plywood (etc) in there if at all possible.

If this is decent quality metal siding, it is probably worth more AS SIDING OR ROOFING and might oughta be saved for that purpose (where cheap 1/4" plywood or recycled panelling would NOT substitute) instead of "wasting" it indoors. If you are preferring to go with scrounged materials, what if you just left the inside walls open (studs exposed) for now and just see what you can turn up over the coming months in terms of thin plywood or old rec room panelling or whatever?

JMHO, good luck, have fun,

Pat, totally jealous of your having excess metal panels, boy could I ever use some luck like that
smile.png

With the price of metal panels these days, I'd consider using it to roof a wood shed, storage area, play house etc. and find some other material for the inside of a coop. Just a thought, good luck with it however you decide to do it.

Back
Top Bottom