can I use my chicks to eat red mites?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sheeshshe, May 9, 2009.

1. sheeshshe

sheeshshe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    out of my worm bin? [​IMG] Im not sure. yes the chicks will eat bugs, yes I have an infestation of red mites in my worm bin... the mites are on top of the worm bedding which is just shredded paper... so the chicks wouldn't be near the worms or my composting materials. just the wet paper on top where the mites are going nuts. like seriously nuts. Im worried that the chicks would get mites in their fuzz or something and that they would have mites all over them... however, the mites like moist dark environments and chicks are not moist and they are in the light all the time... so would it be a problem?

should I try it or just forget it... is it a stupid idea? the chicks are just little. if I were to do this should I wait till they are bigger?

2. love4mychick

love4mychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    one there is never a stupid idea on this forum 2 i do not see the proplem with you feeding them but i would wait for a food expert im more of a raiser than any thing but i think it should be fine [​IMG]

3. sheeshshe

May 6, 2009
    is it better to post this in the feeding forum you think? I wasn't sure since its about baby chicks as well [​IMG]

4. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    I'm not an expert by any means, but I wouldn't do this. Those little bugs hurt like the dickens and since chickens are often the victim of mites, I would be afraid that they would infest them. And yes, chickens are moist. Under their feathers, their wings, around the vent, they're moist!

You're talking about red bugs right? OUCH!

5. sheeshshe

May 6, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by