Can I use NatureMade vitamins for vitamin B or do I have to buy chicken-specific brand?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by TheRealFowlLove, Mar 24, 2018.

1. TheRealFowlLove

TheRealFowlLove In the Brooder

May 5, 2017
    AZ
    My chooks just went through a Colid treatment and I need to supplement their diet with a boost of Vitamin B. The feed store in my area doesnt sell them anymore (no joke body builders where taking them for their workouts. Smh) and I was wondering if I could use the vitamin B complex supplements they sell at Walgreens? Like, are people vitamins bad for them or maybe they don't pack as big of a punch as the poultry brands? The people vitamins are also way cheaper and I'm in a bit of a bind financially going threw the chickychicks treatment.
    Please let me know; I need to get vitamin B into my babies asap!!!
    Thanks <3

Attached Files:

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    As long as you work out the dosing amounts, you should be fine. There is no magic about Vitamin B packaged for human use vs. for animal use. In other words, Thiamine is Thiamine. If you give the correct dose, you will be fine.

venymae and TattooedChicks like this.
  3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Yes, you can use those for your chickens. Preferably find a formula with no added iron. Excess B vitamins are excreted in the urine, so they are relatively safe to use, but you don't want to overdose them. How old are you chickens? What I would do is start by crushing one vitamin and adding it to their daily feed. If you are feeding fresh, nutrionally balanced poultry feed, it should have "most" B vitamins that your chickens need. I would only add the "extra" for 1-2days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: