Can I use normal plywood to build a coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by TheBeesFamily, Nov 13, 2016.

1. TheBeesFamily

TheBeesFamily New Egg

Nov 13, 2016
    The plywood I have is not water resistant, can I still use it to build a coop and paint it with a water resistant paint or something?

2. potato chip

potato chip lunch-sharer

Yes, but depending on your climate it might not last very long or as long as other materials.

3. irfxr

irfxr Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2016
    Bakersfield, California
    I see why not as long as you seal it with a good sealer it should last a long time .

1 person likes this.
  4. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Agree with infxr....Good sealer and/or primer before color coat, do more than one coat of paint.

5. irfxr

irfxr Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2016
    Bakersfield, California
    Don't forget to give a good coat to the edges too !

6. ChickNanny13

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Oh yea, I forgot about that. Make sure you let the sealer/primer/paint dry BEFORE the next coat! I really give the raw edges a nice thick coat, Hubby's glad I like to paint cause he don't :)

7. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    Normal exterior rated plywood, yes. Some of the cheap stuff that does not have waterproof glue? Personally, I would not go to the effort of building anything to be placed outside with that. Sealed or not. Painted or not. It won't last long enough to justify the effort and loss of the other materials that will quickly ensue.

I would use the "boil test". Cut up a square of the ply you want to use and drop it in a pan of boiling water and boil/simmer it for at least 20 to 30 minutes. If it delaminates and comes apart, I'd look for something else. If it survives that, I'd be more likely to give it a chance.

1 person likes this.
  8. ChickNanny13

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Was not aware there's 2 kinds of ply but you're correct. Here in Hawaii we use alot of "plywood" and not the "pressed" stuff or "partial" board.

9. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    Took me a while to find these, but here are photos of plywood that survived the boil test and plywood that didn't. I've never tried OSB, particle board and such.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The cheap stuff that fell apart is luan, used for subflooring.....and some stuff Home Depot was selling. It looked good, with clear faces, but fell apart within minutes of hitting the hot water. The other stuff are mostly exterior rated fir or pine. Some is marine grade, with some fir, meranti and okuume.

The T1-11 siding the box stores and such sell is also considered to be an plywood, except they mill in the grooves in the exterior face to simulate the look of a planked board siding. So yes, exterior plywood is OK.

If you wanted the board and batten look, you could nail on battens too.

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    One on left looks like luan?
    Definitely not for outside...at least not for long.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by