can i use old painted boards or old cedar to build coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SeattleChickenHead, Sep 27, 2010.

1. SeattleChickenHead

SeattleChickenHead Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2010
    I got some old fencing and an old deck in the trash heap, Im planning on raising my chickens as organic as possible but also cheaply, is it ok to use some of my old scrap wood for coop building? I have painted fencing and old stained cedar, I mostly wanted to use it for framing...is this ok? or should I get virgin pine or what? Im on a budget here but want healthy chickens, help? BTW, I grew up with chickens and this is something my parents wouldnt have hesitated doing, but Im not sure if its healthy or not....Thanks

2. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    No proble. If ur worried about them pecking leaded paint just sand it off & repaint or stain. [​IMG] & [​IMG]

3. roosters4sale

roosters4sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    missouri
    Hey, Seattle. Most decking is treated lumber ,which, is frowned upon. And so is painted lumber, because when it peels the hens will ingest the paint. The cedars great if there was no stain. I like the pine idea. Maybe sand down the cedar and the painted wood for savings.

4. SeattleChickenHead

Sep 26, 2010
    [​IMG] Thank you, Ive decided to use the old stained cedar and pass on the chippin paint stuff, I dont have a planer and dont really want to do it with sandpaper (bad for my health) if I have to I may buy a few pieces of virgin lumber, for the outside area Ill use cedar posts sitting on brackets, wrapped in 1/2" wire mesh....

For those of you with painted coops, are you using special no VOC paint or just any outdoor paint or what?? Do the organic people use paint? Over time would paint leach into the surrounding soil?

5. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    I must say I have never seen my chickens pecking on their coop...

6. SeattleChickenHead

Sep 26, 2010
    Also was wondering how the organic chicken farmers felt about using plywood? Ive heard the glues off-gas toxic chemicals? Ok if enough ventilation? Ok till it starts to break down? Ok if painted? Could I be certified Organic and have a painted plywood coop with caulking and such? Opinionated either way?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by