Can i use rabbit nest boxes for my hens nest boxes?

redhen

Kiss My Grits...
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
May 19, 2008
Western MA
we bought some today at TSC to try to make more room in our coop..the ones i have now are kinda large and take up alot of space in my coop...will a hen use them though? they are metal and the sides are low on them...

Quote:
NOOOOOOO, they will NEVER work.

why?
tongue2.gif

Quote:
i hope the little princesses will use them...they were $20 each...
roll.png

Quote:
NOOOOOOO, they will NEVER work.

why?
tongue2.gif

They are designed for rabbits, not chickens. Your chickens will reconize that and will refuse to use them. Trust me I know, Ive tried it before. You just wasted your money.

Sorry but I disagree with you on them not using the rabbit nesting boxes. I have 2 rabbit nesting boxes that I use as nest and about 90% of my eggs are collected from them. I also have made nest out of plastic cat litter buckets and they lay in them. I find that chickens are not so picky about what is provided for them to lay in just as long as it provides them enough space and is clean they will lay in it.

Last edited:
Quote:
why?
tongue2.gif

They are designed for rabbits, not chickens. Your chickens will reconize that and will refuse to use them. Trust me I know, Ive tried it before. You just wasted your money.

i kept the slip....
tongue.png

Mine will lay in anything,, including the empty card board box I left on the porch last night to throw away today, and the rabbit box that my rabbit Rabbit used to use. Don't see why it won't work, just don't let any rabbits tell them different!

Quote:

i kept the slip....
tongue.png

Thats good, you will be returning them. All of my chickens refuse to use them. They will lay on the ground before they will lay in a rabbit nest.

Back
Top Bottom