1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can I use sand as bedding for Buttons?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by BHep, Oct 14, 2011.

1. BHep

BHep Overrun With Chickens

Nov 20, 2010
    Faison, NC
    As the subject states..... sand or shavings ?

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Shavings I wOuld suggest (non cedar)

If you have access to pelleted pine or yesterday's news that's good stuff too.

3. BHep

Nov 20, 2010
    Faison, NC
    I think I can get the recycled paper stuff from Walmart. It's not call Yesterdays news, but it is an off brand, used it for Hamsters way back. I have pine shaving, use them for chickens. The closest "real" pet store is approx. an hour. Don't get there too often. Can I give them some sand in a container to dust bath in? I had Coturnix Quail for awhile and I would give them a container with sand and they were craZY over it. [​IMG] Sold the outside Quail and got the inside Quail. [​IMG]

4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Oh yes, you can add sand in there too. But for a foundation bedding, pine shaving or a pelleted bedding will suffice.

5. BHep

Nov 20, 2010
    Faison, NC
    Thanks AGAIN! [​IMG]

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    You can get the pelleted pine bedding at TSC, or you can use any pelleted wood that you'd find at a home supply store...it's made for wood pellet stoves, so just be sure not to get the stuff with an accelerant on it.

I've not used the paper bedding, but if I had to choose between the pellets or the shavings I'd go with the shavings. But I'm sure sand would work too [​IMG]

7. BHep

Nov 20, 2010
    Faison, NC
    Well... I have shavings here so that's what they will get. I have been keeping them on newspaper with a sprinkle of shavings. They dust bath their food all over. Little varmints !!! [​IMG]

I think I will wrap the bottoms of the bird cages in plastic to help keep down the mess. I also will be keeping a pair in my office in a glass fish tank. [​IMG] It is a 20 gallon long... I wonder if I put a divider if I could keep 2 pair in it. The tank is 12"x30", so each side would be 12"x15". Hmmmm..... What do you think?

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    You should be able to, I have a pair in a 10-gal. and they have more room than most of my button pairs do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by