Can I use sand on my plywood floor in coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by andilusch, Aug 24, 2013.

1. andilusch

andilusch New Egg

Aug 24, 2013
    I have a raised coop with a plywood floor. Can I put sand directly on the plywood floor or do I have to have something underneath it? I have read many posts on how people do this but many are doing it on dirt floors. Some people put pond liners or rocks underneath, they say for drainage. I do not understand that since I have read that the sand has good drainage. My floor does not get wet except for the occasional water spill, so that is why I thought I could put it right on the plywood. I have been using pine shavings and hay up to this point. My chickens are 12 weeks old and it is my first time raising them. Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated. thanks

2. chynasparks

chynasparks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2013
    Texas
    If your not getting rain inside I don't see why not. I have sand in the poop board, it's got a plywood floor. There's never any liquid going to the plywood, even from the occasional runny poo. Maybe you could line the plywood with some kind of flooring, linoleum perhaps. If you change out the sand you could then clean the floor.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by