Can I use shelving as roosts?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MVchickens, Mar 27, 2011.

1. MVchickens

MVchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard MA
    I am converting half the shed into a coop and im trying to save space. Can I use the two pre existing 7' wide by 1' deep shelves as roost? I thought it would be a good idea because i can clean easily and it would save space having two roost right above each other. what do you think?

2. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    My chickens prefer wide boards over everything else. Only a few who can't fit roost on the thin ones!
    I say go for it! Save $ because you won't need that poop board under the poles.

3. C&Rman

C&Rman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Nevada
    It's not heathy for them, their feet are designed to wrap around a branch or some sort of a board i prefer a 2"x2".

4. obaan1

obaan1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Great Lakes State
    Try it. If you or the birds don't like it, you can change it out later. I would use screws on installation for easier removal if you change your mind.

5. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    It's not heathy for them, their feet are designed to wrap around a branch or some sort of a board i prefer a 2"x2".

I have never heard of that.​

6. no1hilbily

no1hilbily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Indianapolis
    you could put a 2x4 on edge on the front if needed for someplace for them to get on

7. duluthmom

duluthmom Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2010
    It is funny how they seem to be more comfortable roosting with their toes wrapped around something. I suggest putting a couple of pieces of split firewood kindling up on the shelves. They don't like unstable roosts so the flat split side down may be enough to keep it from rolling. Chickens are definitely not impressed with spending money on such things.

8. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    Quote:[​IMG] but very true!

9. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    C&Rman :

Sorry, but I don't think that's correct. Chickens are ground dwelling birds and their feet are primarily designed for walking on flat surfaces. Their toes don't grip the way a true perching bird's can. The differences in foot and toe structure seem clear to me when I compare the feet of our chickens to the feet of our parrots or even our doves.

One reason why the OP may not like using shelving as a roost is that the nighttime droppings will all be caught on the shelf, rather than falling below the roosting chicken as is the case with a typical narrow roost. Because the shelf would be the actually roosting spot, you wouldn't want to leave them there and make the chickens roost in their own feces night after night. It would get fairly nasty fairly quickly. But if you plan on scraping and scrubbing the shelf every morning, it could work.​

10. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    C&Rman :

Look at their feet on a narrow roost, then look at the feet of another bird. Chickens can wrap their toes to a point, but nothing like, say, a parrot. In winter in cold areas, they are much better off with a wide flat surface so they can easily rest their bodies on the whole foot. Prevents frostbitten toes. Sometimes a really big large fowl bird, like say an orp rooster, will prefer to sleep on a shelf rather than even a 4" roost.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by