Can I use small coop as brooder in cold weather?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TimM, Apr 18, 2012.

1. TimM

TimM Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2010
    I haven't been around in a few years because my three Goldens thrived, thanks to you wonderful folks! Now that they've gone to that big coop in the sky, I'm getting brave and planning to buy 3 or 4 chicks and brood them-probably RI Red or Golden Sex Linked. I have a tight little coop, 3' x 4' with insulated ceiling and tight doors. It's got electricity, so I can hang an infrared heat lamp down nice and low for them. The thing is, I live in the north, and we'll have many nights in the 30's yet, and perhaps a few well down in the 20's. Do you think I can get away with brooding them in the coop, so I don't have to do it in the house and make my wife paranoid of escape or worse? Thanks!

TimM

2. ButchGood

ButchGood Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Central Texas
    Sure you can. Sounds like your coop is better insulated than my house.

3. what did I do

what did I do Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Montana
    Are you using the little blue and white coop listed on your page? That is a wonderful coop. Just put t thermometer in the coop. One of those remote ones would work wonderfully. Put it where the chicks are on the bottom of the coop. A heat lamp in a small space can overheat it and kill the chicks.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Chicks have been brooded in sheds and barns and on coop floors for a century or longer.

I brood "outside" in an outbuilding. It's the only way to fly.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  5. TimM

TimM Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2010
    Thanks for the compliment! Yup, that's my coop. It was the first construction project bigger than kitchen cabinets that I ever attempted. With all the go-aheads I've gotten here, I'll brood in the coop. Thanks! You folks are wonderful!

BTW, I do have a wireless thermometer in the coop, although it's halfway up the wall. Maybe I'll lower it.

TimM

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by