Can I use snow as an insulator for the coop?

DogAndCat36

Crowing
Mar 12, 2020
Northern Maine
It gets pretty cold here during the winter. My chickens don't get things like frostbite but I would still be nice to raise the temp. a bit. My dad said that if I cover the coop with snow it can insulate the heat like an igloo. Will this actually work or will it chill my chickens even more?

It gets pretty cold here during the winter. My chickens don't get things like frostbite but I would still be nice to raise the temp. a bit. My dad said that if I cover the coop with snow it can insulate the heat like an igloo. Will this actually work or will it chill my chickens even more?
No.
No.
NO!
Your coop needs to be well ventilated and dry. That would be IMPOSSIBLE by burying it in snow. Chickens aren't Eskimos. They stay warm by fluffing their feathers to trap their own body heat. Excess moisture needs to move out of the coop. Therefore, lots of high ventilation with some lower fresh air intake.

No.
No.
NO!
Your coop needs to be well ventilated and dry. That would be IMPOSSIBLE by burying it in snow. Chickens aren't Eskimos. They stay warm by fluffing their feathers to trap their own body heat. Excess moisture needs to move out of the coop. Therefore, lots of high ventilation with some lower fresh air intake.
What if the coop was made of a material that wouldn't get wet and the chickens would stay dry. Would it work then? Following...

We 'bank' snow around the perimeter of our house, which helps to keep the heat in and drafts out. I think this might be what your dad is suggesting, and I can't see it creating a problem as long as no ventilation holes or spaces are being covered. I wouldn't 'cover the coop in snow' (I can't see that working), but you could shovel some snow and pack it around the bottom of the coop's perimeter. Depending on your coop! Add pics and you'll be better advised.

No.
No.
NO!
Ok. Sorry.

What if the coop was made of a material that wouldn't get wet and the chickens would stay dry. Would it work then? Following...
How would you propose not blocking vents?
And light?
The dryness comes from the damp stale warm air rising and moving out of the coop. The moisture comes from the birds plus any open water source in the coop.

Feel pretty bad for the OP being so aggressively shot down like that. We actually leave the snow on our coop roof in the winter for just that reason. :idunno None of our vents are blocked because why would they be? It's snow, not liquid water - it stacks and shapes. We just brush the vents/windows clear if they get blocked after a snow... If our coop was on the ground we'd 100% bank the snow around the walls for the same reason. As long as the vents are open and the water can't seep in, it's fine.

(but of course, if your chickens don't have problems it's not really needed either...)

We 'bank' snow around the perimeter of our house, which helps to keep the heat in and drafts out. I think this might be what your dad is suggesting, and I can't see it creating a problem as long as no ventilation holes or spaces are being covered. I wouldn't 'cover the coop in snow' (I can't see that working), but you could shovel some snow and pack it around the bottom of the coop's perimeter. Depending on your coop! Add pics and you'll be better advised.
I can’t show pictures right now because I am not at home right now. My coop is a reused old playhouse that is made out of wood.

Back
Top Bottom