Can I Use This Area To Build A Coop??

scorwin

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 4, 2011
I'm brand new and don't have my chicks yet. I have to build a coop first. I have this unused dog pen beside my garage, I figure I can use this space to build the coop inside the pen or maybe even in the garage opening to here. Is this plausible? Here is the dog pen.
98714_p1010016.jpg

Last edited:
Sure, dog runs make good chicken runs. If you go up to "coop design" you may find a few photos of converted dog runs. Otherwise go to "search" and then put in dog kennel, and select the section "coop & run" and do a search. Just make sure to cover the top and maybe add hardware cloth around the bottom.

Because of certain lowlife types that enjoy causing misery to other computer users, there is a limit of how many posts you have to have before you can post photos.

How to post pictures/avatar
http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=26838

As ThinkingChickens said, people use dog kennels as runs. They can work great.

If you build your coop in the garage, which can work well, a word of warning. Chickens make a lot of dust. Unless you seal your garage off from the coop, you will get dust on everything in the garage. You could get an unpleasant smell too, though if you keep the coop dry, smell is usually not a problem. This means you may have trouble getting adequate ventilation in the coop. But the advantage of having the coop protected from bad weather, especially extreme hot and cold, could be pretty big.

Since you are thinking about building a coop, let me give you a link to this article on ventilation. I think it is very good.

Pat’s Big Ol' Ventilation Page
https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-VENTILATION

Good
luck!

Take a look at my coop and run (link in siggy)--I used a 10x10 chainlink dog run and it's GREAT! My page tells you how to make it predator proof, etc. Best of luck!

How big is the run and many birds are you looking to fit in? Remember not to overcrowd them.

A dog run is a great start point for a run, they are solid and easy to add on to if chicken math kicks in. If it doesn't have a top, you can buy premade chainlink panels at Lowes or HD to bolt in. You don't say where your at but keep in mind the angle the garage roof dumps water and snow (don't want a avalanche to wipe you out or soggy chickens from dripping a roof).

Raising a small coop off the ground allows you to count that square footage in the run and wrapping flashing around the legs will help stop mice from crawling into the coop if you don't turn around a give the birds a ramp. Also a raised coop makes cleaning easier, you don't have to work on your knees.

Don't forget....skirt the run if it's on dirt, line the inside of the run with hardware cloth up to a little over chicken height to prevent reaching thru, throw a shade panel or tarp over the run to help protect the birds from heat and hang a roost pole in the run, birds love to hopp around and will roost outside on warm days.

Look thru the coop pics and design ideas on this site while designing your coop. There a some very unique ideas floating around this forum

Most of all, have fun doing it. Hope to see photos when you start
pop.gif

Quote:
They don't sell them for the top (at least, I've never been able to find them). The biggest panels they usually sell are 10x6 (i.e., side panels). Won't work to cover a 10x10 pen. You can MAKE chainlink panels yourself (using the pipe, chainlink, connectors, etc) but you can't get them pre-made.

I made a cover for mine using 4' woven wire fencing (1" holes), overlapped and "sewn" together using wire (see my page for more info). I then covered it w/ a pitched roof w/ tarp (those ARE sold for the 10x10 kennels) to keep out water.

Hope that helps!

Hi from Ga. Chickens can be happy almost any where. Just make sure they have plenty of room and and security. The dog run will be great for them.
big_smile.png

Thank you all for your advise and ideas. This photo is the area on the outside of the pen that I could maybe fence and give them more space out of the pen in the daytime. I can't have free roaming as #1. I have and English pointer (bird dog) and two cats. And #2 I'm surrounded by a golf course and I don't think they'd like chickens on the 2nd tee!! : ))
98714_p1010017.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom