1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can I use this as grit ??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by newBonboard, May 17, 2011.

1. newBonboard

newBonboard Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2011
    I posted this question is someone else's thread but can't remember which one now [​IMG] I have 3 week old chicks and was wondering if I could use sandbox sand " from the sandbox " as grit for the chicks and if so, how do you give this to them ? Also, I noticed that someone posted that you could pull a section of grass with the roots still attached ( cute the grass down but leave all the dirt on and let them use that for grit ?? Do you just pull it from the ground and than sit on bottom of brooder ??

Oh my word - thank you people..this site is awesome !

2. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    You can use sand as grit. Grit is used for when you give them treats. It helps break down their food. Let your chicks have access to grit all the time. I just pour some play sand in a little pan and place it in their brooder.
    I have read that when your chicks grow up, they won't be able to use sand as grit, as they will need bigger dirt to help grind up there food.

3. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Oh and I forgot to say that if you are looking for an old post, click on 'profile' on the top of this page. Then once you click profile, scroll down and click 'show all post'. And you should be able to find your recent post's.

4. newBonboard

May 13, 2011
    Ok - thanks [​IMG]

5. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    sunny & the 5 egg layers :

You can use sand as grit. Grit is used for when you give them treats. It helps break down their food. Let your chicks have access to grit all the time. I just pour some play sand in a little pan and place it in their brooder.
    I have read that when your chicks grow up, they won't be able to use sand as grit, as they will need bigger dirt to help grind up there food.

At what age can you begin giving grit?​

6. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

Quote:You start giving it to them when ever they begin eating anything other then their feed, like treats.

7. newBonboard

May 13, 2011
    Thank You !!

8. Kbagwell1

Kbagwell1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Augusta, GA
    I start giving mine grit at 1 week old because thats when they start getting treats!

I have bought the grit from TSC and it is nothing like play sand. I would think to be able to grind food, it'd need to be alittle bigger than sand. Most of what I buy is crushed up granite...even for the babies!

9. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    Thank you, too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by