Can I use this fan in my LG bator? (link)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by happyhens, Mar 6, 2009.

1. happyhens

happyhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    KY
  2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I use an old computer fan in mine. DH wired it to an old phone charger cord for power.

3. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    in the description of that is says 2 ft X 3 Ft something....that is ummmm a pretty big fan! [​IMG] I don't think it is possibly that big. I got a small one like 2 inches by 2 inches at radio shack. Yes a pc fan is great just make sure it isn't too big.

4. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Maybe it's a typo. I've never seen a computer fan that big.

5. happyhens

happyhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    KY
    I saw that to but just assumed it was a typo... do they even make them that big? Just to be safe, I'll buy one with normal dimensions, but I just wanted to be sure that was what I needed. Thanks!
    I do have another question- do you all think it would hurt to start my eggs still-air and add the fan in about a week (maybe less, depends on when the pc fan arrives)?

6. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:That sort of a change can throw your temps off. You will have to be careful and watch closely for a couple of days to make sure it stabilizes.

7. rnoyster

rnoyster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Conway, South Carolina
    The picture from ebay looks to be a 3" PC Fan. The rating is 2.3 cubic feet per minute. That is pretty strong. The fan that have been using is about 1 1/4" square and changes about 1 cubic f00t per minute. It just keeps the air moving gently around the incubator. I got munbe at Radio Shack for about $6-8.
    Dick

8. jay1995

jay1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    St. Augustine, Florida
    I use a pc fan in my bator and my eggs are now developing beautifuly. Goodluck, -Jay

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by