1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can I use this for a brooder house? SC

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rroven, May 29, 2008.

1. rroven

rroven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    lexington, SC
    I had my husband clean out my little greenhouse and we pulled up the old floor (pallets) and replaced it with brick. The wall beside the door needs to have plywood put on it but after that is done it should be tight as a drum.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2008
  2. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Wow I think that would be great as a brooder house.

3. NU CHICKS

NU CHICKS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    Wyoming
    Im sure that it would work. We also have a greenhouse, and kept our teenager chicks in there till the coop was finished. The only prob. was that it got so dang hot. Have you considered putting in a lanoliam floor? (much easier to clean)

Please send picts when it is done.

Last edited: May 29, 2008
  4. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Hey, that looks great!
    I have 75 chicks in my tack room down at the barn. So far with this weather I have had to open the one window every afternoon for some fresh air and turn on a little fan but they are all thriving well.
    Of course, it was pretty cool yesterday after that front came through and my sister said it got very cool down there in Chapin so I am sure you all got a bit chilled but looks like you can close it up when you need to and open it a bit for fresh air.

5. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I'm quite sure any chick would be proud of a pad like that!

6. Dilly

Dilly Cooped Up

Apr 15, 2008
    That could be made into an excellent brooder. All the windows for sunlight will be an added benefit and bonus for the chicks.

I would put down lyno though, for easy cleanup and sanitation.

Good luck with your chicks.

Dilly

7. FutureChickenMan

FutureChickenMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    shoot, I brood mine in a rubber maid tote, then they graduate to a horse trough, then to a cornered off section of the coop.

8. LuannKeller

LuannKeller Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Greer, SC USA
    Looks like a great brooder house. I agree with the flooring suggestion. I put lanoleum in brooder shed and it cleans up fast and easy.

9. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    I agree - very nice digs for your babies!

Just watch the temps - I know how hot those SC summer days can get - while the chicks need heat, they may not need THAT much heat!

If the windows open then you should be OK - maybe will hae to add a fan on the very hottest days.

10. NU CHICKS

NU CHICKS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    Wyoming
    Im in Wyoming and on a sunny day our greenhouse can get 120 plus. . . I bet that good ventalation and fans would be required.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by