Can I use this heater to heat my coop on negative degree nights?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ZaneyMama, Dec 29, 2010.

1. cabincrazyone

cabincrazyone Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2010
    NE Minnesota
    Are you looking for a unit that won't harm the chickens, and that they can't poop on? It looks like it would do that ... but the cost is heavy duty.
    Several of the customer reviews tell of the unit cracking, and that's inside the house. I would tend to think that using one in a coop might be a little rougher usage for the unit.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Sure you could. Of course depending on how big your coop is, it may/may not make much of a temp. difference. But you don't want a big temp. difference anyway, right?? I think most people put those things right behind the roosts, just to give a bit of warmth while roosting. They're supposed to be very safe. We're using one of those radiator looking self-contained oil type heaters in our coop this winter. It's on it's lowest setting available, and so far is working like a charm. But I've had my eye on the flat panel heaters like the one you posted about...still waiting to hear more feedback from folks who currently use them...

3. AkTomboy

AkTomboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    DJ, Alaska
    Yes you can, I have these in my coops, not the same brand but same style. This is the thrid winter, I have them set on a thermostat and I love them

4. MamaChic21

MamaChic21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    You hang that at their wall, right ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by