can I use this is it safe

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ben is a terror, Jun 15, 2011.

1. ben is a terror

ben is a terror Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    LBI,NJ & JIM THORPE,PA
    I saw these squares at lowes. They put together like a puzzle They had bright colors for a kids room and plain black. Can I use this in my duck run? They look easy to hose off and easy to take apart to clean underneath. What should I put under them. I can't afford the horse mats. i want this for the house part where they sleep. Anyone used this?

2. spike844

spike844 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2010
    Virginia beach, VA
    Are they made out of foam? I think I know what you are talking about. I wouldn't think you would need to put anything underneath them.

-Noah [​IMG]

3. ben is a terror

ben is a terror Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    LBI,NJ & JIM THORPE,PA
    They feel like foam. They aren't flimsy you can't fold them.

4. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

My opinion would be that they would peck and scratch it apart.
    We own these for their created purpose, and yes they hold up well but as soon as one discovers they can peck pieces ~
    they'll all pick at it. Or the scratching would be too much for the material and get wrecked.
    Go to the floor covering aisle and check out the hard rubber mats that fit the same way together and are certainly more sturdy.
    Good luck!

[​IMG]

Edit: added Smiley

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  5. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

I reccomend against them because they are going to trap moisture under them and cause a mildew / rot issue. Stick with coarse sand and clean it up with a rake and kitty litter scoop. Plus it's a lot cheaper

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by