1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can I use this paralized Turkey for meat?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by neverbdone, Sep 14, 2012.

1. neverbdone

neverbdone Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    Lake Isabella, CA
    I have a BBB turkey that went down about 6 weeks ago. I did a molasses flush and he survived. However, his legs have been paralized ever since and his neck occasionally has control issues wings and everything else seems normal. I am assuming the original cause is long gone or this bird would no longer be with us. Can I safely use this bird for meat? Is there any sure way to tell when I cull him? Any help greatly appreciated.

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

do you have other options for using him w/o humans eating him?

(dog food, cat food)

3. neverbdone

Dec 9, 2008
    Lake Isabella, CA
    Yes, I have sold four and have four perfectly healthy birds that will go to that. But if it is OK to use this bird I was looking forward to my own first homegrown thanksgiving turkey. But, not if its dangerous in any way. The dogs are my children, so if I can't eat it how could I give it to the dogs? I guess I could leave it out for the coyotes thanksgiving dinner. The turk seems happy enough eyes are bright and eats like. . .well like a turkey. He moves himself around in a circle pretty well. Anyway is there any way to tell if its safe?

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I'd eat it.

5. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    There is absolutely no reason not to butcher and eat this bird. The sooner the better for all concerned.

6. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

X2

7. neverbdone

Dec 9, 2008
    Lake Isabella, CA
    Oh Thank You BYC BUDS!!!

Butchered yesterday and the cleanest bird I have seen. Who says BBB's have ugly skin. He looks beautiful. Done well and in the cool water ready for freezer camp. I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving and a 25 lb bird on the table for two hard working people, their friends and leftovers for the pups. Again, thanks for your input. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by