Can i use this waterer for my chicks?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Shkittles, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Shkittles

Shkittles Songster

[​IMG] I just bought 2 of these 1 gallon waterers from tsc for the chicks i'll be getting in 2 days from MMH and was wondering if it will work. will the area the water goes in be too deep and cause them to drown or should it be okay. I got the big waterer so that i knew they wouldn't run out of water while i'm at school and my parents are at work.
    [​IMG]

2. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    If you're worried about them drowning, put some marbles or washed stones in the bottom. [​IMG]

3. TXmom

TXmom Songster

I don't know...looks a little too big to use at first. I had a much smaller one for their first couple weeks.

4. shookpoultry

shookpoultry Songster

May 26, 2007
    Claremont, NC
    This water will work perfect for day old standard breeds, but if your getting bantams you will need a smaller one.

5. Shkittles

Shkittles Songster

Quote:I'm getting all standard breeds except i'm also getting 1 silkie. so should i still use it? [​IMG] Thanks [​IMG]

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I would use it. Add some small stones or marbles to protect against drowning.

7. add the stones and provide silkie with a step to use the get to it

8. riley

riley Songster

Nov 30, 2008
    Mooers, NY
    thats the water can that i started my chicks on

9. Chickenfortress

Chickenfortress Songster

May 8, 2008
    I used the same, and put a couple sections of 1x4 next to it for those that couldn't reach easily.

10. Skip

Skip Songster

Wow, that's the same waterer I use! [​IMG]

For chicks... Bit deep. I'd put marbles in the bottom if you really want to use it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: