Can I used ivermec paste for scaly leg mites?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kaitie09, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    I noticed one of my hens has raised scales on her legs and I am assuming it is the beginning of scaly leg mites. None of the other chickens have it but I am going to treat them anyways. I was wondering if I could use the ivermec paste for horses and either give it to them orally, or put a dab under their wings. I will be soaking all of their feet in vegetable oil too.

The paste has 1.87% ivermectin and is 6oz. I was wondering how much I should give each chicken. The one with the mites is probably 2-3 lbs and the rest are 4+. Should it be diluted first?

2. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    I don't think that's called for. You'd have to pull their eggs for something like 14 days? From what I've seen on here - slather their legs with vasoline every day until it's gone.

3. Kaitie09

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    They are molting right now and I have not gotten more than 3 eggs in the past week, so I'm not worried about consuming them. I have never wormed them before either so I was thinking I could hit two birds with one stone.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I used have used the Ivermectin paste on our d'uccle rooster when we first got him...I THINK I used .5cc. I squirted it onto the pores of pieces of bread. I don't know whether it was the foot treatments or the Ivermec., but his feet looked great within 10 days. Every two days, we'd soak his feet in warm water, brush gently with a soft bristle toothbrush, and then coat with vaseline...

1/2 ml - is that the same as half a cc??? LOL - that's what I used. I gave it again a few days later (I was dealing with lice too)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  5. Kaitie09

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    Thank you. I am going to try that and then dunk all of their legs in vegetable oil. When we first got into chickens we had a pair of second-hand silkies that had it so bad they were deformed. We did not know what it was at the time and it was too late by the time we found out. I'm trying to be proactive about it this time.

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Yeah - Earl's (the little d'uccle fella) feet looked a bit deformed too when we got him. They really grossed me out. I wish I'd take before and after pictures, because by the time he got done with his "spa" treatment, his feet were beautific! LOL [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by