Can I vaccinate chicks I hatch?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Maryallison, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Maryallison

Maryallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    Anytime I have purchased chicks from a hatchery I get them vaccinated. Soon as my chicks start to lay (probably gotta month & a half) I plan on hatching my eggs. I was wondering if I can vaccinate my own chicks and how do I do it?

Thanks [​IMG]

2. cluck-addict

cluck-addict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    MN
    I bought the mareks vaccine from jeffers Livestock. It was VERY easy to mix and administer. I was nervous at first but really it was FINE>

Piece of cake!

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

yep, you can vaccinate your own. I get mine from Jeffers too. the Mareks can be divided up (wafer) into 4 equal parts, then mix only one part together in a separate glass dish, this will give you 4 doses, 3 for later mixing and use. Must use each dose in 1 hr. once mixed w/ diluent. [​IMG]

4. threehorses

threehorses Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston
  5. Maryallison

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    Thanks everybody & nice to see you again threehorses! [​IMG] Cool, I have a Jeffers like 1 hour from me (and I wanted a reason to go anyways) [​IMG]

I am just trying to be well informed before I hatch the chicks. [​IMG]

6. threehorses

threehorses Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston
    Quote:You have a Jeffers *near you* ??? OMG can I come visit? [​IMG] I'll go broke.

7. Maryallison

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    [​IMG] And I have a TSC too! I love just going and looking around! [​IMG] Inside Jeffers it is a pretty small store actually. The catalog is much more impressive than the store, I actually like TSC more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by