Can I vacuum in the "nursery" while the chicks are in there?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by armedtodream, Apr 11, 2011.

1. armedtodream

armedtodream Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2011
    N. Idaho
    Hi, I have a dozen chicks 10-14 days old about & they live in a kiddie pool with chicken wire sides. It's my first time with chicks so I didn't think about having them in something I could move so I could vacuum etc... But here we are & I am wondering if I can vacuum with them in there or if it would damage their hearing or give them heart attacks. Maybe draping a quilt over the "cage" first? If not, I will give in & put them all in a box temporarily but am hoping to avoid the stress of the pack up if the vacuum is tolerable. Thanks so much!

2. Frannabelle

Frannabelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2009
    MI
    I vacuumed my "nursery" today. It scared them for the moment, but they're fine!

3. packmomma

packmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Argos, IN
    I vacuum all the time..at first they are scared but I just go really slow and tell them its ok. Yours will be fine. The more you do it the more they will get used to it.

4. armedtodream

Feb 14, 2011
    N. Idaho
    Thanks for the encouragement, my son is mortified that it will deafen them & pleaded I sweep until I knew for sure :) The best place I have found to gather the variety of real world information has been here :)

5. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Yeah I think your fine, of course they do scare easy at first, heck mine scatter in their brooder if I just open the door LOL.

AL

6. rocky41102

rocky41102 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2010
    Tennessee
    Mine were super annoyed the first time but after that they didn't seem to mind unless I got the hose part too close to the cage.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Don't suck them into the vacuum.[​IMG] My MIL did that to Chippy the parakeet once upon a time.

8. armedtodream

Feb 14, 2011
    N. Idaho
    Oh man! I can't imagine sucking one up! I thought that was just for the adoption commercials! Definitely will be careful to keep the hose a safe distance from our little friends :) Thanks for the confirmation on the vacuuming, now I have enough "evidence" to pacify a 13 year old!

9. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    My brooder is under one of the speakers of our home theater thing. We watched LOTR last night and didn't even phase them......

10. MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    Colorado Plains
    I usually take advantage of pasty-butt check time to vacuum. I pick each up out of the brooder box, take a quick heiney look, and if ok, put in a small box and grab the next one. A few per box. If not ok and needs washing, a separate box.

When the brooder coop is empty, I move the boxes into another room. Quickly add more shavings or change paper. My kid vacuums real quick (very good at that). I return the clean-butts to the brooder coop, clean the ones needing it, dry them and return them.

Don't like vacuuming while they are in the room because we have a really noisy machine. They don't even like being in a close room. If the feather/chick dust gets too bad and don't need to do a pasty-butt-check, I carpet-sweep.

I'm probably too cautious.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by