Can I wash the magic marker off their heads, if so How??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HaileyandJoliesMom, Aug 17, 2008.

1. HaileyandJoliesMom

HaileyandJoliesMom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    My babies came in Saturday and the EE's were marked so we knew who was who. Can I wash the red off their heads or would it be best to leave it one them?

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Who would use magic marker on them?

Unless it is permanent marker it will wear off.

3. MsBentleyboy

MsBentleyboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Kentucky girl
    Even permanent marker will wear off. I had four BR and we put a small dot on each one's foot (4 different colors). After about a month we had to repeat it b/c it faded.

4. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    I think the stress on the chick from trying to wash or remove the mark would be too much. The mark will fade in a couple weeks or less when they lose their baby fuzz.

5. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Probably but why? The marker won't hurt them and getting wet might hurt them so I see no point in trying.

6. HaileyandJoliesMom

HaileyandJoliesMom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    If it will stress them then I wont. Just curious I guess.

ETA= they were marked by Mcmurray so Im not sure what type of marker it is. We had them marked because someone ordered with us and wanted EE's, and we wanted to be able to identify everyone.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  7. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

I marked one of mine to track his progress as he grew and developed, and it faded so quickly that I lost track of him......

...long story...he wasn't supposed to make it (and he and I proved them Nay-Sayers wrong)....

..in short...don't worry about it...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by