can i wing sex mix's?

I purchased eggs localy but dont know what the mix might be, it was before the breeds were seperated. If the breeds aren't correct for wing sexing will they look like male or female, or will they vary?

The chicks' parents have to have the correct genetics for the chicks to be able to be accurately wing sexed, (rapid feathering male x slow feathering female) unless you know what the parents were, it is doubtful the chicks can be sexed that way http://www.extension.org/pages/65437/sexing-day-old-chicks-on-small-and-backyard-flocks#.VQnCPuFXo64

X 2 - it is not universal as some would lead you to believe. Of course you'll hear all sorts of anecdotal assertions to the contrary, but even when the process is inaccurate those folks had a 50/50 shot of getting it right - that doesn't mean that the bird was successfully feather sexed.

I purchased eggs localy but dont know what the mix might be, it was before the breeds were seperated. If the breeds aren't correct for wing sexing will they look like male or female, or will they vary?

Because your birds are unknown mixes there is no way to predict that as they could, by chance, have been the correct parent breeds to create sex links but I would just assume they are not and use the other common indicators such as comb/wattle growth, the appearance of other sex characteristics, etc which means waiting a while after hatch to start getting an idea of who is what.

Back
Top Bottom