Can I..........

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by rooster brandon., Sep 11, 2010.

1. rooster brandon.

rooster brandon. Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    CAN I BUILD MY OWN CHICKEN FEEDER OUT OF WOOD AND NAILS IF I MAKE IT GOOD.........PLEASE HELP IM CONFUSED SOME WEB SITE SAID I CANT USE NAILS..............................................[​IMG]

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

HOGWASH!! Nail away! Galvanizing or nail glue isn't good for them, but they're not going to be licking the nails, they'll be sunk into the wood. Build away!

3. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
  4. rooster brandon.

rooster brandon. Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    thank you god bless...........

5. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    We have several wooden feeders.

They seem to work best in my opinion. But then again I am partial.

6. UrbanChick101

UrbanChick101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    Eastern Iowa
    Our feed, I have figured out!! Everything else is lacking!! My husband built our feeder (wooden - instead of nails, he used screws, easier on the fingers) and it works really well, it has a slanted back/inside board, so the feed always slides down. I don't know how much it holds, I have not filled it yet, I just bring an icecream pail of feed to it every couple days. It would probably hold a good two ta three worths of feed for certain, if I filled it full. I believe there are pictures of it on my website. I found it on here, from another BYC person, showed my husband and he had one made out of scrap plywood in no time!!! It works great!! (as far as waterers go... welll still trying to find something that works for my setup)

7. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    I use handmade wooden troughs to feed my birds, and yes, they have nails. I get free wooden pallets from the hardware store and pull the slats off, remove the old bent nails. Put two slats together to make a V shape, then put squares on the ends of your V to act as ends and legs, and you have a quick and free (except for a few nails) feeder. [​IMG]

8. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    Use screws not nails! If for any reason it needs to come apart say for a good cleaning if you nail it it will damage..screws come right out and go right back in. We are builders so wood is our business..love the stuff [​IMG] but wood can trap bacteria and disease and that can be real bad with chickens so we don't have a wooden feeder around our birds...the risk is higher than I want to take. We wash and disinfect every water and feeder we have every week wood doesn't like that.

9. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    I have built a couple of trough feeders with scrap 1x4 pine and plywood with sheetrock screws
    Didn't even use a tape measure.
    We had wood feeders LONG before all the new fancy plastic and such.
    Sometimes we can take the cleanliness thing a little too far.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by