Can injectable invermectin be given orally?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rivers2011, Jun 15, 2011.

1. rivers2011

rivers2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    Port Perry, ON
    The feed store only had the ivermectin for injection, so that's what i got for my worm/mite-ridden cockerel.
    is it possible to give it orally? it's meant to be given subcutaneously, but if it'll still be effective given orally i'd rather go that route

2. Silkie Sue

Silkie Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    i've never used that but are you sure they do not have pour on ivermectin for cattle
    that is what i use with great success

3. emptynester

emptynester Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Beaufort, SC
    Quote:yes, but it would be hard to dose it for a chicken. The dosage is .1ml (same as .1 cc) per 10 pounds of body weight. I use it for my dogs.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  4. rivers2011

May 12, 2011
    Port Perry, ON
    wonderful.
    the feed store did have the pour-on, but only in jugs meant for 100+ cattle.

5. rivers2011

May 12, 2011
    Port Perry, ON
    Quote:yes, but it would be hard to dose it for a chicken. The dosage is .1ml (same as .1 cc) per 10 pounds of body weight. I use it for my dogs.

since it's given orally, i guess i can just water it down. thanks so much for your help!

6. Silkie Sue

Silkie Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    Quote:the TSC store should also have 500 ml bottle of it i think it is around 17.00 and it lasts me all year and then some
    does he have mites or lice
    mites are red and lice are light or black colour and they congregate around the vent is where i usually notice them first

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Ivomec 1% injectable dosage: Mix 4cc in one gallon of water. The mixture is the only water the birds get for 2 days. For lice/mites, redose in 14 days.
    There have been tests done with ivomec injectable regarding whether it is effective against roundworms in chickens, which it wasnt. It is still effective against mites. Here is a link for you to read, then go to post #38. After the first sentence there is a link to the tests done on Leghorns, regarding the ivomec injectables non effectiveness against roundworms. The second sentence has a link showing effectiveness against mites with excellent results.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=172967&p=4

8. tgrlily

tgrlily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2009
    East Syracuse

If you use an insulin syringe, .1cc = 10 units. If the dosage is .1cc (or .1ml) per 10 pounds, then it's 1 unit per pound. You should be able to buy 10 insulin syringes at a pharmacy without a prescription. Ask for 100 unit or 1 cc syringes. [​IMG] Also -- it's very easy to give a subcutaneous injection.

My daughter has Type 1 Diabetes... who knew that my diabetes education would be so handy with chickens!

9. rivers2011

May 12, 2011
    Port Perry, ON
    no, they didn't have the pour-on in any smaller sizes.
    it seems to be mites, no lice.

10. rivers2011

May 12, 2011
    Port Perry, ON

If you use an insulin syringe, .1cc = 10 units. If the dosage is .1cc (or .1ml) per 10 pounds, then it's 1 unit per pound. You should be able to buy 10 insulin syringes at a pharmacy without a prescription. Ask for 100 unit or 1 cc syringes. [​IMG] Also -- it's very easy to give a subcutaneous injection.

My daughter has Type 1 Diabetes... who knew that my diabetes education would be so handy with chickens!

that should make it easier! i'll have to check out the drug store tonight. thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by