Can ISA Brown males breed?

Bilppen

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2020
Hi! I'm new to ISA Browns, and I'm pretty sure I've accidentally bought a male ISA brown chick.
I have 3 leghorn pullets and 2 ISA brown pullets

Is it possible he'll be able to breed with the hens? Will the chicks have problems such as infertility or low immune systems? Are the roosters infertile? There's not much information about ISA Brown roosters.

Thank you!

If you post a pic we can help determine if you do have an isa brown and if it is male. Unfortunately many feed stores aren't the best at knowing breeds or whether they have sexed or straight run chicks.

If it is a cockerel, yes he definitely can (and will) breed the females. As with other cross-breed chickens they are fertile.

Not the best photo, but It's mostly white with a brown head
It has smaller wings than my female Isa browns, but definitely not bigger than them

Attachments

• IMG_20200427_191451189.jpg
    IMG_20200427_191451189.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 9
Chick is likely a buff Orpington or buff Rock and not an Isa Brown. Orps have white legs, Rocks yellow. It may take a little time to figure out which.

Here's another picture from when I first got them, if this helps any

Attachments

• IMG_20200424_160930075.jpg
    IMG_20200424_160930075.jpg
    333.6 KB · Views: 9
You will know for sure in a week or so. If feathers continue to come in buff then you have something besides a red sex link (Isa). We've had buff Orps and white Rocks and have liked both breeds. I think you would like them also.

thank you! its definitely not a problem if i have a different breed, I love diversity in the flock :D

As far as original question if it's a isa rooster. Which I dont think it is. He would have no issues breeding any of the hens. Would be no different than any ee roo or mutt crosses out there

Back
Top Bottom