1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can it be! Is my girl going broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by herechickchick, Nov 27, 2007.

1. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    My Blue Andalusian hen, Merryweather was found today laying and egg in the dog house [​IMG] Any way I crawled in to see and she has 3 eggs. I reached over to pick one up to see it and she was less than thrilled about this. Then she came out and joined the group. Could she be working on a clutch. The eggs are not fertile so no babies will appear. I have always read that Andalusians do not go broody. My Jap Bantam and my Delaware will let me have their eggs without a fight but Merryweather did not want me to touch them. I have never had a broody hen before so I am not sure of the signs I should look for. Any advise or input would be great.

Thanks

Here is a pic of my gorgeous girl!

[​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It's possible she's in the beginning stages-remember, she never read the book that said she's not supposed to go broody! If she sits long periods, then puffs all her feathers out and screeches at you when you get close to her on the nest, that's a broody sign. If she stays on the nest and does not go to roost, quits laying entirely, that's full-on broody.

3. herechickchick

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    I left the eggs alone and I am just going to watch her. I have read a clutch is usually 6 eggs, is that right?

4. speckledhen

I'm not sure what a true clutch would be. We usually just gather the eggs so none freeze or get to hot, depending on the weather and then put what we want under a broody. I'm not sure how many people let their hens gather a clutch naturally so I don't have an answer for you.

5. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    I would doubt she's going broody. Most hens don't like eggs taken from them when they are sitting on a nest, even if they have no intention of hatching them. Broody girls growl and fluff up and usually have to be physically removed from their nests.

6. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

It depends on how hormonal she is...Obelisk, a Leghorn who is also not supposed to go broody, gets broody...She'll peck your arm off rather than look at you...but she and Penny both work up to being broody...they'll lay and then they'll sit...

7. speckledhen

Just watch her and 'test' her and either she'll stay the same or turn into psycho-hen eventually. I have several hens who hate for me to look at them on the nest, much less reach in and get the eggs. A couple will even peck me.

8. herechickchick

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    False Alarm. She totally abandoned her three eggs and has not laid since! What a tease. [​IMG]

9. banditgin

banditgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Boonsboro, MD
    Quote:I think my silkie is going broody (or she could already be there). She leaves the nest box in the am when I move her - she's not really happy about it but she doesn't do anything. Once I put her down on the ground (or in front of the water), she'll eat/drink and walk around. I didn't move her this morning (should have but didn't have time as I usually watch her for a bit) and by the time I get home, it will be dark. Sometimes theres eggs under her (well, egg and lately it has been the brahma egg as she hasn't layed an egg in a week or so, I think)

10. Chickee's Mom

Chickee's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2007
    Lacombe AB
    That is one beautiful hen you have there!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by