Can it hurt if you HAVE to candle everyday?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Farm Frenzy, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    I just wanted to know because my daughter is doing her Science project on Chicken Embryology, and chick development, and we have to have pictures of development and that sort of thing. If we made it quick would it hurt? We know not to touch or open the bator on the 18th day though.[​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I would imagine you're hatch percentage would go down. How about every other day or every third day.

I am only going to candle on day 10 and day 18 when I take them out of the turner.

3. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    you could set about 30 eggs, and break one open each day and take a picture. But if your worried about hurting them, then i dont think you want to kill them. I would candle every 2 or three days, that would work the best.

4. Farm Frenzy

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    I guess we could do it every other day, but do you think that would affect the project?

5. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    well the mother hen gets off the nest once every day, im sure it will be fine. Just set enough eggs [​IMG]

6. Farm Frenzy

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    Quote:Oh that's not a problem....that's just giving me an excuse!!![​IMG]

7. Fresh Eggs

Fresh Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    YES YES YES!!!! I lost my WHOLE hatch of 20 eggs to too much handling.

8. Suellyn

Suellyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2008
    SouthWestern PA
    You will get varying opinions on this one!!! (obviously).

I candled frequently, was quick and gentle about it, and had 9 out of 10 hatch. The one that didn't hatch looked like it quit around day 15, but had been lagging behind in embryo and air cell size from the getgo, I think it was kinda "genetically doomed".

Like someone else said, I figured the Hen gets off the eggs once a day days 1 thru 18, so to me a 5 -10 minute "cooldown with increased ventilation" kinda imitated that.

Just my opinion... [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  9. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    There are several sites that show the egg at various stages of development. I am not sure why the science project would not be just a good if you used photos already available. It will affect the outcome of your hatch, which is not to say you will lose the all but I would imagine it will not help with the overall outcome.

Try this sites.http://www.minkhollow.ca/HatchingProgram/Candling/Week2-3/Day18.html

http://lancaster.unl.edu/4H/embryology/EmbryoPhotos.shtml

I have a photo journal of egg development for the 21 days. If you email me I can send you the photos. I can't find the link that I got it from some 4 years ago.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by