Can it stop raining?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Jferlisi, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    So its been raining for the past 2 days. It slowed down a little this morning and i was tempted to let them out but didn't know if it was going to keep raining. I feel so back for the girls since they are locked up. My broodie silkie must not be very happy right now, LOL.

2. rirbrahma

rirbrahma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    hawaii
    I know! It's been so rainy here. Even when it rains I let them out. They just hide under the shade. We had a 40 day rain here before. Lol

3. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    same here. pastures just aren't drying. Just that kind of year I guess [​IMG]

4. Jferlisi

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    I would let them out but for some reason when it rains my bantams wont go back into the coop and they get soaked. We dont really have said here since we are in the desert area.

5. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    We have a saying here in the soggy side of Washington, "If you don't do it in the rain, then you won't do it at all." My flock will start to go out into the rain, and as soon as they figure it out that it's raining, they all turn around and run back to the coop. It doesn't hurt the chicken to get soaking wet. Over the years I have had some very very wet chickens. They will dry out in the coop. lol

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Unfortunately, most coops in Arizona are not designed to keep chickens dry--they are designed to keep them from broiling during the summer. My ones that were not cooped are actually dryer than the ones that were confined to some of my coops--I've been rain-proofing the coops the last few days, so some are not as bad as others, ...but...I still have a ton of wet birds. And yes, I have had birds die from getting wet and muddy before. Right now the ones I cannot keep dry are cycling through a cages with a heat lamp to dry off. I feel like we've received at least half of our annual allotment of rain the last two days.

7. Jferlisi

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Quote:Unfortunately, most coops in Arizona are not designed to keep chickens dry--they are designed to keep them from broiling during the summer. My ones that were not cooped are actually dryer than the ones that were confined to some of my coops--I've been rain-proofing the coops the last few days, so some are not as bad as others, ...but...I still have a ton of wet birds. And yes, I have had birds die from getting wet and muddy before. Right now the ones I cannot keep dry are cycling through a cages with a heat lamp to dry off. I feel like we've received at least half of our annual allotment of rain the last two days.

LOL i know, i have a tarp on half my coop. [​IMG] I had to put a heat lamp in there to help with the drying since they were wet to the bone yesterday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by