Can It turn the heat lamps off?

Goaldielocks

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 17, 2008
Southern Maine
Hi All!
I have 17 chicks that are 10 weeks old now. They've been in the coop for 4 weeks now with heat lamps round the clock . It is low 30's -20's here at night. Is it time to turn the lights off and let them get used to the weather? If it's super cold we've turned them on in the past with a prior group...but have never started with fall chicks before. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!!!

I have a 250w infrared on when it gets really cold at night, well 25F is really cold here. We got down to 1F last week which was weird. But I have it off during the day and it's in the upper 30's-lower 40's. It got cold enough last week to freeze their water in the coop overnight even with the heat lamp on and they seemed no worse for the wear. I cover their roost with straw and shavings. It's a 2x4, broad side up. They are just over 3 months old and cold hardy breeds - RIR, Gold Laced Wyandotte, and Delaware.

I would start turning the light off during the day and then start decreasing the amount of time it's on at night. You can use a timer so it only comes on during the coldest part of the night for awhile and then turn it off completely.

IMO, chickens fair better when allowed to acclimate to the cold naturally. Get them used to a heat lamp and have a power failure and they will be ill-equipped to handle the cold.

If you have some single combed birds, roos especially, and your ventilation isn't what it should be (too much moisture in the coop) you may have to apply vaseline to their combs.

I agree. I don't have it on at night when it's above 25F which is most of the time here. But if it gets colder than that I worry about them......I'm a sucker....
hu.gif

Great advice from Gritsar. Cut back on the heat gradually so that your birds can acclimate to the lower temps.

Back
Top Bottom