1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

can jumbo cornex quial live in the same coop as chickens

Discussion in 'Quail' started by millersdawn616, May 13, 2011.

1. millersdawn616

millersdawn616 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2011
    i have chickens, guineas and turkeys but would looooooovvvveee quail, my question is can they live together. its a very large area that they have to themselfs and plenty of room to fly and run. would havein a few quail live with the chickens be ok or no ???

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Short And Sweet... You Can But It Usually Has Very Bad Results... Do A Search Here And You'll Find 100's Of Strings On The Matter

3. Dirk Chesterfield

Dirk Chesterfield Chillin' With My Peeps

While not forbidden by law, the mixing of bird species with different adult sizes has it's definite hazards. As many poultry enthusiasts have learned that chickens possess the innate instinct to brutalize, maim, kill and/or devour anything that is significantly smaller than themselves. Given that adult Jumbo Coturnix are around 1/3 the size of an average Bantam and 1/8 the size of a standard Plymouth Rock, it would be inadvisable to house quail with chickens due to the inherent physical dangers.

Chicken wire enclosures suitable for containing large poultry have openings that allow a quail to put it's tiny head through the wire mesh. This would allow a predator to bite the heads off your quail. It is recommended by many that quail be kept in pens that are protected by 1/2" x 1/2" wire mesh to prevent this situation from occurring.

Additionally many chickens carry diseases that are fatal to quail. Even though your chickens do not appear to be sick they may possess within their bodies or feces illnesses that will decimate your quail population. It is true that some folk allow quail to mix with their chickens, but many others feel it is akin to playing Russian roulette, you may win or your quail may die a horrible painful drawn out death. You've got to ask yourself a question: Do you feel lucky?

Lastly quail, being game birds, require a different diet that chickens. Quail should be fed a special game bird diet that is 24 - 30% protein, higher is better. Chicken feed is significantly lower in protein than is required to provide a quail with complete nutrition.

Please do not let any of this dissuade you from raising quail. Many quail fanciers raise other species of birds but they normally separate each species into different pens, feed each a specific diet and thoroughly wash their hands in between visits to each enclosure.

4. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    DIRK!! You just ruined what could have been a glorious quail battle...

Very well put thou... Bill

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  5. Dirk Chesterfield

Dirk Chesterfield Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Grasshopper is in debt to his Masters. Can I get the tiger and dragon brands now? [​IMG]

6. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:Grasshopper is in debt to his Masters. Can I get the tiger and dragon brands now? [​IMG]

VERY NICE JOB... YOU QUALIFY FOR THE CHIMPANZEE BRAND (TIGER IS AFTER MED VS NON MED FEED AND DRAGON IS AFTER THE MOBY QUAIL DEBATE [​IMG])

SERIOUSLY THO VERY WELL AND ELOQUENTLY PUT [​IMG]

7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    chickens possess the innate instinct to brutalize, maim, kill and/or devour anything that is significantly smaller than themselves

Chickens are to closest living relative to the T-REX!

Once you get that fact through your head, it gives you the right perspective to deal with chickens properly.

One reason I have ducks is if I accidentally bump my head and get knock out in the run, I know I wont be missing pieces of my face when I wake up.​

8. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    Quote:"10.0" [​IMG]

9. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:Chickens are to closest living relative to the T-REX!

Once you get that fact through your head, it gives you the right perspective to deal with chickens properly.

One reason I have ducks is if I accidentally bump my head and get knock out in the run, I know I wont be missing pieces of my face when I wake up.

OBVIOUSLY YOU'VE NOT HAD MUCH RATITE KEEPING EXPERIENCE? [​IMG]

BUT A VALID POINT NONETHELESS [​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  10. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    OBVIOUSLY YOU'VE NOT HAD MUCH RATITE KEEPING EXPERIENCE?

Not a lot of those out here in the burbs [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by