1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

can jumbo quails live together with regular sized quail?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by beakmaster, Feb 12, 2013.

1. beakmaster

beakmaster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    Panama City, Florida
    I have a dozen coturnix quail and recently hatched a few jumbos. I am wondering if it will be ok to put them in 1 pen.

2. animalsrock123

animalsrock123 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2013
    I think it would be ok if you got them used to each other first. You can do that by separating the jumbos and regular sized birds by chicken wire, so they can see each other, but not attack each other. I'm only a newbie at quail but I read this somewhere on this site.

3. beakmaster

beakmaster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    Panama City, Florida
    ok, good idea. I have the perfect setup for that as I have an extra pen that I can put beside the occupied pen.

4. yallapilko

yallapilko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2012
    This is a good question! I'm sorry I don't directly know the exact answer. But from keeping quail (jumbos) I've found that if any of them have a difference, they pick on them, smaller, weaker, even different colour. So I would be wary and introduce carefully, watching the smaller birds for injuries several times a day at first.
    Let us know how you get on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by