Can Khaki Cambells fly?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Oddyse, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Oddyse

Oddyse Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Bristol
    Hey guys, I have two 6 week old Khaki Cambells and was just wondering if they will be able to fly? They sure as hell seem to be trying! [​IMG]

2. Totes Quackers

Totes Quackers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Melbourne
    I have been wondering this too! My KC is 3 1/2 months and likes to fully stretch his wings and charge across the yard.. altho he doesn't look like he is built right for flying..?

3. Oddyse

Oddyse Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Bristol
    Yeah same here! They look like they want to but seem a little too heavy!

4. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    I've had Khaki Campbells for a few years now. They do tend to flap their wings and run around, but I've never seen one take off. I keep them in a large pen (to protect them from my dogs) and they have plenty of space to run and fly if they want to. I always have food and water available to them, and they all stick around.
    I wouldn't worry about them flying off : )

5. GosfieldAcres

GosfieldAcres Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2011
    Canada
    Our Khaki Campbells jump out of their duck house door flapping and "flying" for a short ways but they don't really actually fly. We have then in a pen of just 3 foot poultry netting and they never fly over.

6. xke4

xke4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2007
    Mine flies quite well actually. Not well enough to migrate with the Mallards but far enough that I cannot see where he lands when he takes off.

7. GardenerGal

GardenerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Quote:Mine fly a bit. mostly when they go up or down the ramp to the barn. I think they could clear their 7' tall fence if they were panicked by a predator, but I've never seen them show the slightest interest in flying off. Even when we had wild mallards land in their pen last winter to eat out of their feed trough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by