1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can kids get sick from chickens?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by texaschickmama, Oct 5, 2007.

1. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    I was wondering if my kids could get sick from my chickens. My birds are all healthy strong and doing great. I am just concered and want to know what to watch for if anything. What diseases if any can be transferred from chicken to people? [​IMG]

2. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello, i have seen a very informative thread on this very subject, ill have a looksee and give you the link when i find it, unless someone else can help.

3. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    Yep, They can get chicken fever, some of the symptoms are, Wanting to spend more time with the chickens than on the computer,Quiet often A high degree of responsibility may develop, Duration is long, sometimes lasting on into adulthood, Symptoms may subside, only to come back later in life..Sometimes a condition called "Poopie Toe" will occur, Just clean area with soap and water and everything should be fine.
    Seriously, Probably the only threat would be Salmonella, From the kids handling the baby chicks, You may want to look that up...

1 person likes this.
  4. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

That was a good one. They already have that, I was looking for something a little more severe that he would actually have a legitimate reason for staying home from school other than wanting to play with the chickens. [​IMG]

5. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Not really. I've actually been healthier since I've had them.[​IMG]

6. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

7. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    I would think Staph one of the more common... just make sure they always wash their hands and if they are injured (oupen cuts and such) then think twice about letting them play in the chicken area

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by