Can kids get sick from chickens?

texaschickmama

Songster
12 Years
Sep 19, 2007
Poolville, TX
I was wondering if my kids could get sick from my chickens. My birds are all healthy strong and doing great. I am just concered and want to know what to watch for if anything. What diseases if any can be transferred from chicken to people?
hu.gif

Yep, They can get chicken fever, some of the symptoms are, Wanting to spend more time with the chickens than on the computer,Quiet often A high degree of responsibility may develop, Duration is long, sometimes lasting on into adulthood, Symptoms may subside, only to come back later in life..Sometimes a condition called "Poopie Toe" will occur, Just clean area with soap and water and everything should be fine.
Seriously, Probably the only threat would be Salmonella, From the kids handling the baby chicks, You may want to look that up...

gig.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif
yuckyuck.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif

That was a good one. They already have that, I was looking for something a little more severe that he would actually have a legitimate reason for staying home from school other than wanting to play with the chickens.
lau.gif

I would think Staph one of the more common... just make sure they always wash their hands and if they are injured (oupen cuts and such) then think twice about letting them play in the chicken area

Back
Top Bottom