1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can kittens grow up to kill the chickens?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by erinszoo, Jul 16, 2011.

1. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    We have 10 chickens, 2 geese, 1 duck and 1 turkey plus 4 kittens in our yard. They have pretty much grown up together and the kittens know not to bother the geese or duck or turkey as those birds bite at the kittens if they come too close. But lately we have been opening the chicken yard gate and letting all the birds free range in the whole yard so the kittens decided they could now go in the chicken yard and chicken house. So far all they've done is drink water and sleep in the hay and they haven't even tried to bother a chicken but we're concerned that as they get bigger, and that hunting mode of the full grown cat kicks in, that we'll have problems. Anyone have experience with this?

2. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    My cats all know what a p.o.'ed chicken is capable of, and I have no issues. In fact, until recently I had an old persian that I swear thought he WAS a chicken. He preferred sleeping with the hens to sleeping in the house, would pass up a full bowl of cat food for a share of the layer pellets, and let chicks climb all over him like he was their mom. Our other cats aren't quite this "fond" of the chickens, but they all keep the peace.

3. dancingsquirrel

dancingsquirrel Out Of The Brooder

One good peck and the kittens will soon learn who is boss around there!

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I've had cats and chickens running around together for a few years now without a problem. From reading on here, I think this is the usual situation with domestic cats. Either they make friends or, like mine, learn to keep their distance. Of course, even a domestic cat might well kill chicks, and a hungry feral cat of any size could be a threat.

There are more than a few pics on here of cats and chickens peacefully sharing space.

5. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    If your kittens grow up around the chickens and see you with them I don't think you'll have any problem. I have 2 full grown cats. They showed an interest in them at first but after realizing I was taking care of the little chicks the cats knew not to mess with them.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  6. Alethea

Alethea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    The kittens shouldn't be a problem. Cats will go after chicks, but full-grown chickens can manage cats. We had a cat, Archie, who caught a bird. Our chicken, Gertrude, attacked Archie until he dropped the bird. It was too late to save the bird, but I have to cheer Gertrude.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Why not?

8. franklinchickens

franklinchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    We have 3 cats, 1 of which goes outside frequently (a former feral cat). None of them bother the chickens. In fact, once the chicks were grown (the original 4 we have), the partly outside cat won't even go in the backyard where the hens live. There's also several outside neighborhood cats and 2 ferals that live in the neighborhood as well as a family of foxes. None have stepped foot in the backyard (as far as we know) since the hens were grown. Even with the chicks out there, same thing. The neighborhood cats used to visit us often before we had the chickens but not anymore. Cats can be a problem for chicks I think - but a flock of full grown hens - I really don't believe they'd mess with them. Plus if they are your cats - they will realize that the chickens are part of the family not fair game. I could be wrong but this has been my experience. I'm in a pretty urban setting so we have different wildlife than perhaps a more rural setting might have.

9. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    My cat likes to jump at my chickens - which makes them run off squawking. I think if he ever actually caught one, they'd teach him a lesson.

10. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    we have several feral cats that come int he yard and even live under our rv.. and have never had a problem with them bothering the chickens they are very respectful of them they dont want to be pecked..

)O(
    Pink

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by