Can layer feed hurt 12 week old Orpingtons?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 2OLD2BAChick, Aug 8, 2011.

1. 2OLD2BAChick

2OLD2BAChick New Egg

Apr 20, 2011
    One of my 17 week old Rhode Island Reds started laying this past weekend. We have 5 other birds her age. But... we also have three 12 week old Buff Orpingtons. They are all living happily together. My question is: should I mix layer feed into the Gro-Cal or will one feed hurt the other birds? Thanks!

2. EncinoMan

EncinoMan Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2011
    Encino
    How about feeding everybody grower rations with free-choice oyster shell on the side? Once your entire flock is of laying age, you could switch to layer feed.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Feed them anything but layer, at this point. You can always provide the calcium on the side, in shell form.

4. 2OLD2BAChick

2OLD2BAChick New Egg

Apr 20, 2011
    Thank you so much! I will get the oyster shell. It sounds less risky than feeding them all the mixed food. We've been so blessed and are enjoying our girls immensely; I would not risk harming them. Thanks for your help!

5. Miss717

Miss717 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Rushville, NE
    I was told by employee at local farm store (he also raised poultry in the past) that the main difference between grower and layer is the amount of protein.

6. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Quote:Protein is not the problem but the level of calcium.

7. quinkerton

quinkerton Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2009
    North Bennington
    What will it do to them? I have always fed mine layer at 12 weeks. They are all mixed in with the older gals at that point and will get to it anyway? I have never had a problem with any of my hens.

8. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    Quote:X2 on this.

9. Miss717

Miss717 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Rushville, NE
    Can someone tell me why too much calcium too young is a problem. I'm new at this and I mix layer, hen scratch and oyster shell together and feed it to all of my chickens.

10. kinsey228

kinsey228 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
    I was told that too much calcium for younger chickens can cause kidney damage.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by