Can lice cause swollen red bum with feather loss?

Ruby Mia

Songster
6 Years
Feb 6, 2013
England
My hen maxi has lost all her belly feathers and bum feathers and her bum is bright red and swollen. I find out that all my chickens are infested with lice, so I have cleaned their coop and covered them all in lice powder. I don't think she is laying either, but she seems very happy otherwise. could the lice be causing this problem or could it be a molt which is why she isn't laying?

Last edited:
It could be a combination of the two. Do you see lice eggs at the base of her feathers? Or little red mites? I have a stubborn hen who wants babies, she clucks around and tries to set a nest. She have plucked her belly feathers. I say NO babies its cold out!! I don't think a broody would pluck their butt, just their belly. So I think its a moult and lice problem combined. Also I have a friend who has a 2 year old ISA Brown, she moulted her feathers then never grew them back!!! So she has a bald chicken!! I think some of these breeds are too high bred. Maybe you could put something soothing but not sticky on her sore skin.

well when I get a rash or insect bite my skin kinda swells. I can't tell by the picture how swollen it is. If its like mosquito bite thickness I would say its irritated skin. Is the litter in her house dry? I always compare me to them. Their cuts, bruises, rashes, insect bites etc. I am sure, get there, feel and cure nearly the same as mine do. Her redness may be from the lack of feathers and the direct contact of what she is sitting in or on.

Back
Top Bottom