Can Male Ducks & Female Chickens Live Together in a Backyard Flock?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by HJECG, Feb 21, 2014.

1. HJECG

HJECG Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2013
    USDA Zone 7
    I'm considering adding one or possibly two drake ducklings to my very small backyard flock of chickens - all hens. Is this going to be possible to do without risking hurt to my chickens? Are there any breeds of duck where the drakes are less likely to be sexually aggressive toward chickens, like maybe one of the miniature breeds? Thanks for any input.

2. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    I don't think it's a good idea, but my experience is only with Pekins. I had 4 ducks for my one drake and he still tried to mate my hens. I sent him to the freezer as soon as I saw what was going on. Why not get 2 ducks? At least they will be useful and lay eggs for you.

3. Mehjr10

Mehjr10 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Moscow, TN
    We raised two Easter Mallards with a batch of chicks, both turned out to be Drakes. They still hang out with the chicken flock and or the dogs.. No problems and we don't have any Duckin's yet.. Funny thing with the dogs is when we play retrieve the Ducks fly back and forth with the dogs..

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Unfortunately, the trouble with this question is for every positive answer of "it'll be fine" you'll get "my drake, almost killed my hen" The point is it's POSSIBLE, i would highly recommend NOT to put drakes with hens and no ducks(female ducks) that would IMO increase your risk, drakes are well to put it politely want a lot of lovin' if they cannot get that from their own kind they will default to the next best option.

A small drake is just hormones packed tighter lol I have a call drake, he is still very "drake" despite being what i call a pound cake duck.

I do let my standard hens free range which means they get around my big duck flock which includes quite a few drakes, they have never even so much as tried BUT i own ducks so they have their own "mates" and ladies to keep themselves occupied, i also do not house together.

Personally, with being a "small flock of hens" and only adding 2 ducklings, i'd get some sexed females and not bother to roll the dice of risk.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  5. Finny

Finny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    If you want a quiet duck I would either go for cayugas or muscovies. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by