Can mallards cross with runners?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Duckchick2011, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Duckchick2011

Duckchick2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    I recently purchased some runner ducklings to run with my mallard ducklings and I was curious. Is it physically possible for a mallard to cross with a runner? [​IMG]

2. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    yup

3. Duckchick2011

Duckchick2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    Any Idea what the resulting chick would look like?

4. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    depends on the color of the runner but it could end up with a stance anywhere from down like a regular duck to up like a runner to somewhere in between

5. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Yep, like what Teach97 said.

6. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    Old thread, looking for pictures! One of my mallards has taken a liking to a runner, so I wanted to see what the chicks would look like...

Anyone care to show off pictures? :D

7. Russian Blue

Russian Blue Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2014
    Apache Junction, AZ
    I have a fawn and white runner drake who has crossed with my mallards and I hatched the eggs numerous times. The resulting ducks have come out several different colors: an almost solid buff, buff with a white band around the neck, and a medium brown, sometimes with the white band. The medium brown is similar to the breast color on a mallard. The male crosses will often have a green head like a mallard.

They walk more upright than a mallard.

Overall, I think this is an excellent cross. The ducks are smaller in size but lay very well and can't fly other than a couple of feet off the ground for a short distance. WIth my mallards, if I don't clip their wings, they end up in all my neighbors yards' pacing the fence because they can't figure out how to fly back over it. Ha.

On my avatar picture, the boy in front is a runner x mallard, as is the girl in the far left of the picture.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by