Can mites or lice cause chicken to walk like a drunk?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ksbmom, Jan 26, 2011.

1. ksbmom

ksbmom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2008
    Hi - I have a RIR who used to be a beautiful bird. Now she looks terrible - losing feathers, especially around the neck and rear end. Her eyes, nose and breathing are all normal, and she is eating and drinking normally. The only strange thing is that now and then she looks like she can't walk straight. She will lurch around like a drunk! And sometimes she can walk and run normally. Her feet do look more pink than my other Rhodies. I checked for mites but didn't really see anything, but then again I've never had anything wrong with my birds, so don't really know what I'm looking for. Now one other RIR is starting to lose feathers. Could it be mites? I'm planning to dust with poultry dust as soon as I can get to the feed store. I do use DE in the coop and nest boxes. Please advise!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  3. ksbmom

ksbmom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2008
    Thanks Miss Lydia! That site was very informative. I know now what to look for when I check the birds again, which I will do first thing. This is the first time I've had any problems with my girls and I've had most of them for 3 years.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by