Can moles kill ducks???

Mom2Munchkins

Songster
10 Years
Mar 2, 2009
Upstate NY
When I mow the lawn, I ALWAYS see moles running for their holes. I think that's what they are anyway, about the size of a hamster... Anyway, yesterday I found a bunch of holes in my duck pen, so I'm wondering if they could harm my duckies. I put the hose down in the holes, LOL, but I don't think that did anything.

Those aren't moles. Moles are blind or almost so & fail in the running department. They live underground all the time. Maybe field mice?

You might be seeing shrews-----they are small and have a very pointy nose and almost no tail. They eat mainly grubs, and insects, possibly grain. Whatever is getting in the pen, could just be after the grain. If your ducks are full-grown, I don't think it will hurt them.

Actually, they're most likely voles. Voles are often confused with field mice, but technically they aren't mice. Mice have relatively large ears and long tails, voles have small ears and short, stubby tails.

Voles are the bane of my existence, I've been fighting them for close to 20 years, ever since the old apple orchard across from me was clearcut and plowed one weekend to build a subdivision. Thousands of voles were suddenly homeless and many moved on to my property.

They won't hurt your birds directly, but are filthy, nasty things that spread disease, destroy crops, electrical wiring, vinyl and wood siding, get into stored food, and spread urine and feces everywhere they go.

You should start a control program right away. Poison bait blocks are good if you can place them where you KNOW other things won't get them. Traps work too, snap traps as well as glue traps.

You might be seeing shrews-----they are small and have a very pointy nose and almost no tail. They eat mainly grubs, and insects, possibly grain. Whatever is getting in the pen, could just be after the grain. If your ducks are full-grown, I don't think it will hurt them.
My ducks eat shrews

Back
Top Bottom