1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can more chickens fit in my coop and run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by GimmeCake, Aug 8, 2013.

1. GimmeCake

GimmeCake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2013
    I'm building a 14x11ft run, and I have a 8x4FT coop with x2 4ft roosts.

The chickens I so far plan on having in there:

2 Australorp Hens
    1 Australorp Rooster
    1 Polish Hen
    2 Dominiques Hens
    2 Barred Plymouth Rocks Hens
    2 Wyandottes Hens

Is there any chance I could fit another 3 or so Silkies or a bantams in there without too much trouble? I may be able to get just 1 but that depends in what my local feed store has in stock.

Thanks in advanced!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  2. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

Will they get to do much free ranging? Will you be able to process/sell any if they have crowding problems?

Most people will say that you'll be at capacity with the 10--especially with some of those big large fowl. Your coop would hold 10 if you use 3sq.ft./bird; but only 8 if you want 4sq.ft./bird.

3. GimmeCake

GimmeCake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2013
    Well, I'd prefer not to free range because of predators. Now I may or may not be able to sell, although I'd we willing to cook if it meant needing to get rid of a chicken or two.

4. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    It all depends really on how the birds interact. I have kept as many as 15 birds in my 4x8 coop with no issues. They were all Golden Comets and were raised as one flock

There are three levels in my coop. The hens lived in harmony through the winter when only the coop was their living area.

It may work for you but then again it may not.

With different breeds I would be afraid of the smaller passive birds being dominated and cannibalized.

If they were all reared together I think your chances maybe better.

Good luck in what ever you decide.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by