1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can more then one male quail live together?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by backyardchickenfarmer, May 3, 2009.

1. backyardchickenfarmer

backyardchickenfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    Toms river, New jersey
    Hello, I was wondering, i might get a few quail and i wanted to know if more then 1 rooster quail can live together in harmony? i was thinking maybe 8 hens and 2 males? would that work? Thanks

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    It really depends on the individual birds. I have had males only in a cage that were trying to kill each other. They had never been around females (didn't have any). Now I have 3 tuxedo males with 1 (poor girl!) tuxedo hen and there is no blood shed. I also have 5 males and 3 females in one button group, and 4 males to 3 females in another group. They don't seem to like it much, but there are no major problems. Just try it and see how they do.

3. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Ive got a pen with 3 hens and 3 roos, all bobwhites and they all get along great. But like shelley said really depends on the birds, some get along better than others. Also the size of cage they are in depends on it too. The more room they have the less likey they are to fight.

4. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    This one is interesting to me because I have all these huge roos that coexist beautifully but I have 3 quail in my office in the "emergency room" because the males don't get along! I have one who is a Holy terror,, he is just flat out mean, he pecked another down the bone in the back of the neck, he'll be alright, but geez, one quail isn't enough to eat if you know what I mean? I have 5 hens and 3 boys, 2 of the boys are great, the one.... grrr!

5. backyardchickenfarmer

Jan 26, 2009
    Toms river, New jersey
  6. Appaloosa Hill Farm

Appaloosa Hill Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Southern Middle TN
    That coop is fantastic! There absolutely is room for 10 quail in there. I have a smaller set up for my 6 A&M coturnix--was supposed to have 5 hens/1 roo, but have 4 hens/2 roos. Everything seem to be A OK so far! But....anyone need an A&M roo? [​IMG] I'm having the same "issue"--one quail isn't enough to eat! LOL

7. backyardchickenfarmer

Jan 26, 2009
    Toms river, New jersey
    LOL, ok thats great what would be some good things to put in there for them to hide in and stuff? theres going to be a sand box in there for them to dust bathe. Thanks!

8. Appaloosa Hill Farm

Appaloosa Hill Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Southern Middle TN
    OK, don't laugh at me buuuuuuuuuuuut.... I put a generously-sized two-story bird house in for my birds and they LOVE it.[​IMG] I had to cut the openings a tad bigger, though. They'll spend all day and night in there if they can all squeeze their fluffy behinds in it! LOL Maybe a large fake plant? Fake ivy or something of the like? Driftwood pieces would be nice if you have a source. The sandbox sounds like a hit! I put a terracotta saucer (from the garden store) in with my crew every so often for dust bathing. They get so excited when they see me coming with that thing! [​IMG]

edited for spelling

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2009
  9. backyardchickenfarmer

Jan 26, 2009
    Toms river, New jersey
    That bird house idea sounds really good! good idea! do you have pics. of your quail coop? Thanks

10. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    Its fine if they were raised together. But if you put 2 that do not know each other they will kill each other.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by